OPEN planning committee POSITIONS
The Flurry Festival is run by a hard-working committed team of volunteers dedicated to keeping traditional dance and music alive and well in our community. We're occasionally looking for people of like-mind who are able to attend monthly meetings (usually in Colonie, NY), who can work independently, as well as interact with a 30-person committee, and who are comfortable overseeing a volunteer crew, if required (scheduling, training).
Computer/internet access is required for communications and using the committee database. We prefer local residents of the Capital District/Saratoga Region (i.e. for meetings, and ease of travel to festival, in case of bad weather). Hours needed vary depending on position. All positions are part-time.
What do you get in return?
- Two Full-Weekend passes (one for you, one for a guest).
- A room (you pay) at the Hilton Hotel *if position requires you to be working during the Flurry.*
- A parking pass at the Hilton Hotel for all committee members who must work the festival weekend.
- A way to be part of -- and help others enjoy -- one of the biggest and best dance & music festivals on the East Coast!
1) Flurry Finance Director
Responsible to attend all director, committee and board meetings.
Duties Include but are not Limited To:
- Budget Development with Flurry Directors
- Coordination and Oversight of Performer and Sound Contracts including:
- Revision of performer contract with Admin Assistant and Program Director
- Review of performer database
- Distribution and Collection of Performer and Sound Contracts with all necessary paperwork
- Update of Contract information in accounting system
- Preparation of all performer and sound paychecks
- Coordination with Advanced Tickets
- Pay-pal management
- Coordinate with Admin Director, Program Director and Tech director for payment of site contracts, floor contracts, agent payments, etc.
- Responsible for coordination with bank for procurement and deposit of festival funds
- Responsible to coordinate with On-site tickets, merchandise sales and raffle
- Responsible for deposit and reconciliation of all sales including advanced tickets, on-site tickets, program book, vendor, raffles, etc.
- Responsible for vetting and overseeing Cash Crew.
- Responsible for all reimbursements to committee and board members
- Reports to festival directors and DanceFlurry Organization board of directors
2) Festival Technical Director
Works as part of the directorial team and volunteer planning committee.
Duties: Responsible for supporting the artistic vision of Programming Director as it relates to the organization of backline, lighting, sound, staging and video equipment. This includes but is not limited to budgeting, scheduling, staffing, acquisition/transportation/storage of equipment. Also on-site supervision of setup, operation and take-down across 8-10 venues.
Requirements: The Technical Director must be experienced and capable of working with an eclectic variety of artists, equipment and staff.
Time involvement: Average time commitment is 200-300 hours per year, with the majority of the work done between early December through the end of February.
3) Sound/Stage Support Crew Chief
Prior Sound Crew Chief will assist in training before the festival. This volunteer position involves working with the Program and Technical Directors, sound pros, performers and a volunteer crew.
Requirements: Familiarity with festival stage set up/break down (mics, cables, etc). Familiarity with sound systems/boards. Able to work with 15-minute stage setups between events. Able to troubleshoot stage issues during the festival.
Duties: Attend monthly committee meetings. Screen potential volunteers (in online database). Schedule crew for eight stages, based on venue needs and volunteer capabilities/skills. Coordinate with Technical Director for setup/breakdown of stages. Run two meetings (Fri/Sat) with volunteer crew. Research band performance needs. Communicate with sound pros for specific needs. Monitor stages during the Flurry.
Time involvement: Approx. 140 hours (both before and during the festival weekend).
IN GENERAL: If you are interested in joining the committee and no position is listed above (or none of the above fit your interests), please contact
_ to see what opportunities there may be for you.
If you are looking for an opportunity to learn about the behind the scenes action of the festival, or just want to lend a hand here and there and be called upon if needed, there are many opportunities for you! (See our Volunteer page or contact the Admin Director.)