Survey Responses to: "My Favorite Thing(s) About The Flurry is. . . "
- A walk from one end of the Flurry to the other is quite literally a trip around the globe!
- The vibe: everyone was smiling and there was so much delight -- young and old -- all accepted, all welcome, very inclusive.
- How it feels to be in a joy bubble with hundreds of people.
- Flurry is my second family. Coming to Flurry is like coming home.
- One enormous shared community where we all love our dance and music and come together in harmony.
- Seeing the awestruck faces of people here for the first time.
- A feeling of dance festival with a dash of school/family reunion thrown in. It's the thing I look forward to all year.
- The variety of people and musical styles coupled with the universal enthusiasm and willingness of everyone to share their joy and make newcomers feel comfortable and welcome, is the magic of the Flurry.
- The sheer joy that exists everywhere, and all the connections that are made/renewed each year!
- The winter pivots on the Flurry, dragging much of the rest of the year with it.
- The all-out "have a good time" feel, no matter where you are in any Flurry venue.
- The family friendly-ness -- the fact that my husband and I can go with our kids and we ll are welcomed and all have a great time is just the very best!
- Every flavor of joyful movement imaginable, with new things to challenge us and familiar forms to bliss out on, and several thousand of the nicest people on earth to share it all with.
- Being around this concentration of people intentionally creating something beautiful (and ephemeral) is one of the most worshipful experiences I have ever had.
- The joy of all the dancing folk, workshops, trying new dance styles and forms, the chance to practice, the good company, the variety of contra, the jamming musicians...all fantastic!
- The feeling of joyful energy coursing through the rooms and hallways. It carries me through the weekend and then through the year!
- The Flurry community, who are generally open, inclusive, and fun loving. We all share a passion for wonderful dance and music, which are clearly universal languages that can bring out the best in us all.
- Showing up to dance, and finding myself in all the singing and instrumental workshops.
- I love everything about the Flurry! I never expected that it would be so great and so much fun!
- The sheer intensity of the experience. I've never danced so hard in my life!
- Hearing music in every nook and cranny of the convention center.
- The exposure to many kinds of dance and music that I don't seek out normally.
- The warm, welcome atmosphere. The insane quality of musicians and dancers. The ability to discover whole worlds I never knew existed.
- It's jam-packed without being rushed or demanding, and the fact that it's right in the center of Saratoga.
- Being able to dance five different dance styles in an hour by just walking across the hall.
- I have always loved participating, but especially enjoyed volunteering and feeling even more a part of this special group of people.
- The energy -- none of the other weekends we go to have anything like the level of excitement and drive that the Flurry has.
- The incredible sound of music, stomping, clapping, and pure joy in the giant contra hall!
- The wonderful people who make it a family!
- I enjoy dancing with people I have never met before; it has the same spirit of world music and dance eclectic fun fantastic mix of things to do that it did 20 years ago.
- Comfortable friendly relaxed open atmosphere, everyone is free to be who they are.
- I love that people felt free to wear whatever they want. Youngest to oldest all together, multicultural, affordable, accessible.
- Itís the only big dance event I know where everyone has a massive smile on their face and everyone is friendly, outgoing, and accepting.
- The variety at the Flurry, not just in the individual sessions themselves, but the variety of people who are there. I dance dances I'm not accustomed to dance.
- I play and have fun with people that I wouldn't normally be interacting with. I love it. Thank you.
- People who come for the first time, or walk in off the street wondering what is going on are exposed to the world of dance and music and all of its many alternatives.
- The music!!! The enthusiasm of the people! The feeling of being temporarily in another world! Fantastic!
- The most amazing music/dance experience that I can attend in New England, never mind in the middle of the (dreary) winter!
- Even though I am not a contra dancer, I am drawn (almost like an addiction!) to this event every year. I savor the moment when I enter the busy Hotel and I am greeted by a swell of old-time and contra music, busy hallways, and such a wide range of dances from room to room.
- Love that there is more available to younger dancers; love seeing younger musicians taking the stage with older ones -- a true passing of the torch.
- I love being surrounded and embraced by all the happy, active, healthy people in joyous, creative movement!
Return to Festival Home